Social Awareness and Governance Program
To Increase community awareness about social issues and to promote the practice of good governance in both private and public institutions, through policy advocacy and awareness creation in order to ensure proper utilization of public resources and good service delivery which can improve the economic, socio-political prosperity of Somaliland.
- Develop and disseminate appropriate messages in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
- Strengthen and expand the capacity of the circus group as a community awareness tool
- Network with institutions that deal with community mobilization activities
- Support initiatives aimed at addressing the rights of the marginalized groups.
- Promote care for people living with HIV/Aids in the border regions of Somaliland.
- Reduce social stigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS within the communities
- Establish youth counseling and testing centers (VCTs) & networks
- To Increase the community’s awareness on HIV/AIDS , FGM and child rights through CCE sessions, circus dramas, training,workshops and distribution of IEC materials.
- To equip mothers with children less than five years for prevention skills of malaria through community dialogues and malaria field days/circus shows and distribution LLITNs and IEC materials
- To enhance the circus project as an effective tool for community awareness creation
- To enhance youth participation in decision-making, democracy and economic development
Objective 1: Increase community awareness on health, education, and human rights
Conducting training/workshops/debates on HIV/AIDS prevention and stigma reduction.
Production/distribution of IEC materials of HIV/AIDS, female genital mutilation, FGM, malaria.
Conducting community dialogues, malaria field days.
Distributing the long Lasting Insecticide Treated Nets (LLITNS).
Strengthening the capacity building of the community mobilises through refresher training.
Public awareness shows/training’s on WatSan.
Public shows on girls’ education and empowerment.
Promotion/education through behavior /communication change.
Conducting campaigns on adult/disabled education.
Promotion of youth participation in democracy through training’s, workshops, focus group discussions, public shows, and IEC materials.
Conducting training for traditional leaders, schoolteachers, religious leaders to contribute HIV/AIDS to the community.
Objective 2: To enhance the circus project as an effective tool for community awareness.
Providing capacity building training’s for the circus teams through exposure visits and hiring qualified trainer.
Developing new techniques for performing circus public shows.
Developing curriculum for the circus
Acquiring new materials
Objective 3: To strengthen coordination mechanisms with other mobilization institutions
Conducting meetings with other partners.
Participating in national, regional and international coordination meetings.
Dissemination and gathering of information from/to relevant institutions
Objective 4: Create and support initiatives aimed at addressing the marginalised groups
Providing shelter, education and food to street children.
Rehabilitating and providing psycho-social support for them.
Integrating street children into community and reunifying with their families.
Providing behavior change orientations through group discussion/interviews/meetings.
Providing skills training for employment in the future.
Objective 5: To enhance youth participation in decision-making, democracy and economic development.
Conducting training’s on youth capacity building.
Lobbying for youth participation on decision-making on matters that directly affect their lives.
To support the government to develop policy that encourages youth participation in decision-making through government agencies.
Objective 6: To lobby for pastoral policy formulation and follow up on its implementation
Researching pastoralist context and their contributing to the national and domestic economic growth.
Develop a coalition force among public organizations and raise pastoral voice to the national legislative forums.
Seek and lobby among the stakeholders.
To undertake research activities on pastoralists rights to access public.
Presenting research findings to the national legislative forums.