Public Health & Livelihood Program
To contribute to improving the public health systems in the target communities in collaboration
with other stakeholders through health promotion initiatives and to empower communities to
enable them attain sustainable livelihoods opportunities.
- Promoting and fostering interdisciplinary broad-based partnerships with the community, health care providers and other stakeholders so as to improve primary health care, reproductive health, maternal health in and public health challenges in Somaliland.
- Promotion of grassroots health development, communication and care thereby reduced morbidity and mortality in communities’ settings.
- Establishing strong pastoral/agro-pastoral organizations that represent the rights of the pastoralists
- Increase the responsiveness of government institutions to pastoral development needs.
- Increase access and control over key resources for pastoralists and promote alternative livelihood opportunities
- Improve preparedness, monitoring and coordination of response to emergency situations for the pastoralists.
- Develop effective model for cross border working Manage program effectively with strong experience sharing and impact monitoring.
- Developing program for environmental sustainability.
- Providing community-level environmental capacity building and technology support.
- Better understanding of the nexus between environment and human security, poverty eradication, and preventing and mitigating natural disasters.
- To strengthen the livelihood base of pastoralists and agro-pastoralists
- To promote grassroots health development, communication and care thereby reduced morbidity and mortality in communities’ settings.
- To empower vulnerable communities through trainings and capacity enhancement to enable them be resilient and have better livelihoods opportunities
Objective 1: To strengthen the livelihood base of pastoralists
- Development of income generating activities (IGA)
- Diversification of livelihood activities, e.g. bee-keeping
- Re-stocking and de-stocking of livestock with follow-up
- Cash injection (cash relief, cash-for-work)
- Business management training
- Land tenure policies
- Livestock marketing
Objective 2: To enhance the pastoral community preparedness on the negative affects of disasters (especially drought)
- Drought Risk Reduction trainings
- Development of contingency plans
- Conflict resolution systems
- EWS enhancement
- New water points and rehabilitation of old water points
- Animal health services
- Human health services
- Trainings on NRM techniques
- Coordination mechanisms
- HAVOYOCO staff development in Sphere, Early Warning Systems, Natural Resource
Management, Risk Reduction, Drought Drought Cycle Management, community development
packages, security and safety issues, Information Technology, and through exposure visits.
Objective 3: To improve the capacities of institutions relevant to pastoralists
- Assessment on capacities of relevant institutions & build capacities (e.g MoPDe, NERAD, DPPB etc)
- Strengthen capacities of pastoral organizations
- Exchange visits
- Skills training
- Enhance fundraising capacities