Youth Empowerment & Skills Training Program
To empower youth and women to improve their livelihood through skills training and income
Major partners and donors of this program are UNHCR, Oxfam Novib, Africa Educational Trust
(AET) ILO, save the children and ADF
- Establish new Vocational training centers and improve the capacity of the existing ones
- Establish family life education centers
- Support activities aimed at improving employment opportunities for trained graduates
- Put in places mechanisms that will improve future sustainability of vocational training centers
- Improve linkage with other Skills/ Vocational training Centers for cross learning and experience sharing
- Equip vulnerable youth with marketable skills
- Support activities aimed at improving employment opportunities for the youth
This program provides the following Trade skills:
- Computer skills
- Electronics Repair
- Solar panels installation, maintenance and repair
- Food processing
- Office management
- Auto mechanic
- Metal work
Objective 1: Equip target group with marketable skills
- Trainings: Computer literate and application; Electricity; Tailoring; Metal work; Solar power application; Carpentry; Food processing; Mechanics; Arts; Improved cooking stoves; Electronic equipment (computers, printers, mobile phones etc); Shoe making; IT (computer education); Hair cutting; Office management (especially for women); Masonry.
- Establishing new training centers (Jijiga, Burao) including coordination mechanisms with other actors.
- Knowledge skills transfer.
- Capacity building for staff, recruit skilled (graduated) instructors and buy new machines.
- Reviewing of curriculum.
- Upgrading level of trainings (to a higher level).
- Exposure visits.
Objective 2: Support activities aimed at improving employment opportunities for trained graduates
- Career planning with graduates
- Contact governmental institutions and private companies with the aim of securing employment opportunities for graduates
- Enhancing self-employment activities
- Establishing cooperatives’ activities
- Provide graduates with starting toolkit
Objective 3: Put in place mechanism that will improve future sustainability of VTC
- Develop clear strategy to maintain sustainability (incl. marketing the products of the center and recruitment of new instructors)
- Maintain contact with enterprise